Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dumas Key



I have long been a Stephen King fan but due to many twists and turns in my life over the past seven years, my focus has been on non fiction rather than fiction, particularly political and environmental works. Recently I found myself craving a good novel so I picked up Grisham's The Appeal (which by the way, is a riveting book). While re-shelving the Grisham book on our rental collection display, I noticed a copy of Dumas Key. The cover intrigued me with its Salvadore Dalian (probably not a word) cover art so I lugged the tome back to my office and tucked it away in my backpack. If you want to add some weight to your workout, I'd suggest tying a King novel to your back.

It took me about two days to find time to begin the novel, but was it ever worth the wait. While the book certainly had elements ala vintage King, I was blown away by how much King has evolved as a writer. He has completely mastered the art of subtlety without compromising his ability to set your heart-rate into high gear. Dumas Key is intoxicating, riveting, engaging and, at times, horrifying. Who thinks of building a tale around a one-armed artist and furthermore makes you long to befriend this man and his contingent of captivating pals? Now I want to move to Florida, find a secluded property on the edge of the ocean and live in my own "Big Pink" on stilts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've sold me! I put it in my reading list on LibraryThing

There is one thing I have to know, though, before I seek out and start this book: There is no giant spider or other weird thing at the end that seems to come out of nowhere to explain the entire rest of the novel, right???