Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Finally - a Moment to Blog

Can't believe I missed the freebie week. It's freakin' crazy around here what with annual report, snow, loss of two employees, snow, illnesses, snow, interviews, snow - catch my drift?!! Anyway, I'm in-between interviews right now, grabbing a bite and wishing I had oodles of time to blog.

Last week was one of those weeks. Here's a sampling of just three hours in one of my surreal days. First the power went out as I was sitting at my work computer. Of course the fire notification system began to beep so I rushed to call the security folks to verify we were not ablaze. No electricity means no working telephones. I scrounged for my cell phone, managed to call them off and -snap - the lights went back on and - whoosh- the HVAC systems kicked on with such ferocity, for a moment I thought I was having my first hot flash. Keep in mind the systems are programmed to turn on at 9, not 7:15. Not only did heat blast from the vents, but then I detected a burning ozone odor. Panic set in as I tried to locate the number for the service people. Finally I get the call through only to be met with a lengthy message about office hours, however, I was then provided with an after hours emergency number. Here's where I very nicely said "##@%##$$! The emergency number was the same as the normal business number! I left a very sweet message telling them their emergency number was worthless and to please call me back on my cell phone. Of course I couldn't remember my cell phone number and told the voice mail box to wait while I found it. They called back and said someone was on their way. In the meantime, the local fire trucks went out and I shouted out "don't go, I may need you." By this time it was 7:50,time to log-on to the computers and at least run a pick-list while waiting. No LINK access and no one available to troubleshoot before 8. This wasn't an emergency so I waited, then called the help desk after checking everything I could think of to determine why I couldn't log onto LINK. The upshot was that our great folks in automation couldn't remote in so I had to rush back to the network closet. Panic set in again as I feared I'd miss the HVAC repair man since I couldn't make like a clone and be in two places at one time. Fortunately we solved the LINK problem and I made it back to the front entrance just as the HVAC fellow pulled up. By this time the systems had shut down and only someone with a dog's olfactory senses could catch any remaing whif of ozone. There was no explanation but, there was a $170 bill that arrived this week. Quite a high price to pay for what I'm sure the repairman thought was my overactive imagination.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL! Snow...drift...funny! :-)

Thanks for even THINKING about taking the time to blog with the craziness that is your work day.

Hope you're met with a much better week next week!!!