Friday, November 2, 2007

Fly Me to the Moon

Wouldn't it be lovely when budget anxieties encroach and life in general sucks, to say, in the words of Eric Cartman, "Screw this, I'm going home." Living and working as a civil servant in a small, and at times, small-minded town, can be incredibly traumatic when the lines become blurred between your right as a citizen and responsibilities as a department head. Intolerant and ignorant people in power cause this blurred effect by punishing your department because you - the whippersnapper that you are - dared to stand up for your rights as a tax paying citizen. When those that make governmental decisions are influenced by personal vendettas and, when sophomoric behavior is the rule, ultimately the entire community loses.

2 comments:

Stef Morrill said...

You should be proud that you haven't gone the Eric Cartman route and have hung in there to make your library....and your community....a better place!

Don't you wish you could sometimes just quote another classic Cartman line -- "Respect my authori-tah" -- and that they would actually listen??

Musetta said...

Ah...another South Park viewer. I don't often admit to this guilty pleasure, but so many lines from that irreverent cartoon are oh so appropo. Cartoons never appealed to me as a kid, but for some reason this one caught me. I'm not sure if this means my tastes are less than sophomoric or if I like edgy humor.