Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Flickr is a Beautiful Bird

I can't seem to stop conjuring up an image of the lovely bird know as Flicker every time I go to the Flickr site. I haven't posted any photos yet but will fumble my way through the learning process. I have been duly impressed by photo postings on other blogs and hope the artistic part of me can eventually integrate some interesting pictures into my blog.

In terms of usefulness for a library blog, the possibilities are endless. Candid photos, display photos, program photos, you name it. We've always asked permission to post photos of minor children. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask adults as well. In the local paper is one thing, on the worldwide web is another. Horrors if someone in witness protection was posted on our library site and the mob came over to investigate.

Every time I snap a photo of a crowd, I think about cultural differences and photo-taking. When I was in Scotland a few years ago, I snapped a photo of a fire truck that pulled up to a library in Edinburgh in what turned out to be a false alarm. My Dad used to be a fire chief so I thought he'd appreciate a picture of a Scottish fire engine and firefighter. The scathing look I received from the gentlemen in the truck brought a fitting fire engine red hue to my face. I couldn't imagine what I'd done wrong. One of the sweet Scottish librarians told me it was customary to ask permission to take a photo and to do so without asking was considered rude. Thirty lashes with a wet haggis for me!

No comments: