Monday, June 30, 2008

Tree of Infinite Sorrows


A number of years ago, I read a children's book entitled: Because of Winn Dixie. The story was charming but a part of the book that continued to resonate with me involved a tree filled with dangling glass bottles. The bottles were intended to keep the ghosts away. I loved this image and knew I'd probably start my own hanging bottle tree someday. That day has arrived. My tree is called the "tree of infinite sorrows." For every bottle of "spirits" we empty at Mystic Marsh, we fill it up with all our sorrows and hang it on a tree limb where it appears in gentle sway and clink. There is something soothing about loosing oneself of pent-up sorrows and sending those bottled-up woes into a literal bottle that glints and glows as it swings those damning feelings into oblivion.


No comments: