Friday, June 13, 2008

Lakefront Property

Well I didn't know I owned lakefront property. The torrential rains did a number on the fields of Mystic Marsh. What once were corn and wheat fields (we rent some parcels to brother farmers), are now four foot deep lakes. Being barely over five-feet myself, I thought better of attempting to traverse these temporary waters. Alden, a seasoned fisherman, of course had hip boots handy so with camera in hand, he walked the hundred acres and brought back a photo diary of the lakes. Fortunately our cabin is perched atop a high spot and is in no danger of becoming a houseboat, so in misfortune, we found a bright spot. Probably a bleak outlook for our farmers. I suspect the crops are beyond saving.

I should also mention I own a pond on my home property - in the basement. Yep, the troubling rains raised the creek behind our house and I now have to wade to my washing machine. Don't worry, we have the appliances up on blocks so you won't read any "shocking" news about me at the moment. I'll let you know when the trout start jumping.



All-in-all, we are counting our lucky stars. Wish the same could be said for so many others.

No comments: