Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sigh

So we just celebrated my parents' 55th wedding anniversary and Dad's 80th birthday. Who is together 55 years?! The gala was held at my home and started at 2 p.m. with dinner at 5. By 5, no parents. They don't have a cell phone so we couldn't find out where they'd gone. Both are stubborn people. I called Mom on Thursday to insist they follow my brother because they were lost for over an hour trying to find my place at Thanksgiving. Of course they just knew they could find it. A little after 5, my sister's cell rings. Dad remembered he had her number in his wallet. They were given directions and arrived in 15 minutes. Mom's eyes were red so I knew she'd been crying. She's a bit hysterical but probably also felt guilty for not listening to me. I hugged her hard. They'd somehow ended up in Janesville which is quite a distance from my home. Lost for two hours, they were. Mom thought I lived on L.L. Bean Road. Say what? Dad hugged me hard. His usually rapid speech was kicked up ten notches as he told the tale of their adventure. Mom mentioned an urgent stop by a corn field but Dad didn't. Guess who had to use it? The party was terrific with food, drink, laughter and family. I'd love to see 60 years for them. I'm sending a chauffeur.

No comments: